Dear Reading School Parents/Guardians:
Due to a sharp increase in the number of students who are absent from school because of illness, the Reading School District will be closed on Friday, January 31, 2020. All after-school activities and athletic events will go on as scheduled. We are taking this proactive measure to allow time for our custodial crew to give our classrooms and common areas a deep clean.
Our district nurse, Heidi Sandlin, has seen both flu-like symptoms and a stomach virus impacting students throughout the district. Please help us reduce the spread of illness in our schools. If your child is ill, allow him/her to stay home until he/she is feeling better. It is our policy that a student who has a fever of 100.0 or higher remains out of school until such time that his/her temperature is under 100.0 for 24 hours without the use of any medications, such as Tylenol or Advil.
The Centers for Disease Control (CDC) recommends the following actions in preventing the spread of the flu and other illnesses:
• Avoid contact with sick people;
• If you are sick, stay home and stay away from healthy people to prevent exposing them to the illness;
• Cover your nose and mouth when you cough and sneeze;
• Wash your hands often with soap and water or use hand sanitizer;
• Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth - germs spread this way
• Clean and disinfect surfaces that may have been contaminated.
If you think you or a family member has the flu, see the doctor. Antiviral medications are available by prescription. They work well as long as you start them within 2 days of becoming ill.
The following is a list of symptoms of the flu:
•Body Aches and Chills
If you have any questions, please feel free to call Heidi Sandlin, RN at 842-5215 or email at email@example.com.